HATCH END – The Curious history of the Village that Moved
The hamlet of Hatch End has been associated with its close-by neighbour Pinner for many, many years but it was not until the coming of the railways that the tiny handful of houses that formed this settlement actually came into its own. With Victorian opportunist builders, Hatch End was transformed from little more than a cross-roads into a developing centre. While much of this took place from the 1840s onwards, there were no shops and it seems that there existed a covenant prohibiting trading from land owned by the Church. All that changed in the decade from 1928 until 1938 as Hatch End was viewed by developers as a site of unrivalled opportunities. Fields were to be carved up by grandiose housing estates and shopping centres that would link Harrow to the South with Watford to the North. But this never happened because War intervened. Not until the 1960-1970 period was Hatch End once more thrown into the maelstrom of the house builders and those that demolish fine homes just because they can. Across all this, the centre of Hatch End moved from Headstone Lane to the Uxbridge Road to fit in with the residents' expectations of easy rail travel to London. Written with sympathy, indeed a degree of love, by a long-term Hatch End and Pinner resident, the development of this region, hitherto always seen as an annex to Pinner, is given centre stage. Comprehensively illustrated with rare photos and maps, bibliography and fully indexed. Published by the Author in a Limited Edition of 50 numbered copies, 112 pp, illustrated fold-flat binding, £25.00 direct from the Author.